Sunday, March 13, 2011

Green Light

Most people today are lacking essential leafy greens from their diet…and no…iceberg lettuce doesn't do the trick.  I am talking mainly about the dark leafy greens such as spinach, arugula, kale, and many others.  The first time I encountered kale, I said…NO Way!!!! this is for rabbits.  It's texture and look wasn’t very appealing.  However after experimenting with it few times, I ended up really enjoying it, and now it’s an inseparable part of my weekly diet.  Even my kids learned to like it.  I guess you always have to give new food a try and find a way to make the food pleasing to the eye.  Dark leafy veggies are high in calcium, iron, zinc, and loaded with vitamins. There are also very rich in fiber and chlorophyll which cleans our blood. Here is an example of one of my favorite salads that I make often.  It makes a great side dish for a almost any meal. 

                                        Green Light Salad


4 leaves of kale chopped fine
5 leaves of romaine lettuce chopped fine
1 Carrot shredded
1/2 cup broccoli slaw chopped  fine
3 Tbs sesame seeds lightly toasted
3 Tbs sesame oil
1 Tbs rice vinegar
1/2 Tsp  agave
Salt to taste
1/2 lemon squeezed
Put all the chopped veggies in a bowl with  the sesame.   In a small bowl whisk all the sauce ingredients and pour on the salad.  Mix well and serve.
Delish ...it has a crunchy texture.

Love& Spices,
Bat-Sheva

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comment!!